Saturday, January 31, 2009

Life...

Austin's job at the steel mill has been going good.  Everyone around here asks us about it since they laid off quite a few people in the last few months.  Luckily his boss seems to like him (who wouldn't?) and there are a lot of engineers that are on the opposite end of the spectrum (meaning retirement).  The mill offered quite a few of them early retirement plans so that they can get off the books.  It has been interesting but we are very grateful that his job is somewhat stable (especially since we just bought a house).  I have to say that I love living on a normal income!  It's been great to finally be on our own.  I have learned how to use Quicken and find a sense of peace when I think about our budget.  It is also nice to have some organization and consistency in the financial aspect of our lives.  

I found a job at a small business as an interim secretary.  One of my friends hooked me up with it.  It will be temporary but at this point is better than nothing.  I feel some satisfaction knowing that I am contributing to the income.  I realized that going from a bread winner to the opposite can make one go through many emotions (guilt being one of them, for me).  

I also started my pre-req class for the PTA (Physical Therapy Assisting, not Parent Teacher Association) and have enjoyed exercising my brain.  It is interesting going from a University to a Community College, it seems the mind set is a little different but I am loving the class anyway.  My goal is not just squeaking by into the program but to get in with flying colors.  I still have an entrance exam and then just sending in the application... wish me luck!

Anyways, here are some other things that have kept me busy (at least that I have pictures of).   
I have had some time lately to make more handbags.  I made myself a big tote (far left) for all my primary stuff (since I am now the secretary), it's been working great!  This picture basically shows the difference in sizes between them.
This bag has KT written all over it.  As soon as I finished I knew I had to send it to her!  (She loves olive green).
The tote, again.
Cute little purse.  Turned out great!  I am going to make some more the same size because it turned out so good!  My goal with the purse making business has been to enter into a craft show this spring/summer.  They are suppose to be really big around here according to some fellow crafters in the ward so I am excited to get ready!
Some chair covers for primary.  I made 12 of these total (I think) to mark the chairs for the children in primary.  It has worked out great so far... much better than having taped on signs be ripped down!


Welcome to life of snow!  We had nine straight days of it!  It was amazing!  This is actually not as bad as it was but the pile on the side of the driveway (where we shoveled all the snow to) got to 4 feet high!  It has now melted some... but not that much!  I always thought I knew cold but the cold out here is quite different... especially when it gets -20 with the wind chill!  It has definitely been an adjustment but besides the weather we are managing just fine.  :)

3 comments:

Skylar & Chanell said...

I'm so glad to know that I can still know whats going on with my close friend even though she lives far away. Things are going great for you guys. Good luck with the PTA program!! You'll do good. Love ya kimmy:0)

ltandjbcox said...

Look at all that snow!!! And your curious why dad doesn't want to come visit? Come on. He froze in Mex at 60 degrees. I, however, am putting some thought together. We will see.

Those chair covers are great! Where ever did you learn to sew like that?

I like seeing your new posts, thanks for taking the time to put one up. Love you both.

Becky Montoya Wright said...

so glad my computer actually let me open your blog today. great stuff-- love the primary chairs (you're a smartie). looks like you guys are doing great!